Saturday, December 17, 2011

Welcoming Families From Around the World

Germany is the country of origin from where my family is coming from.  In order to prepare myself to be culturally responsive towards this family I will:
  1. Research and learn as much about the country such as traditions, food, and family structure.
  2. I will contact a local organization that will help with ensuring the transition goes as smooth as possible for the family and myself.
  3. I will have a translator available that will be able to come to school, as well as, home visits to help with language barriers if there are any.
  4. I will learn about the school setting and the expectations from the country this family is coming from.
  5. I will have the family fill out an information sheet that will provide me with some insight about their beliefs, culture, and expectations.
I hope these preparations will benefit both myself and the family because it will create an environment that is welcoming.  It will allow the family to see that I don't just want them to fit into the culture of this country, but want to learn about what is important to them.  This will ensure that the best interest of the child are met by both myself and the family.  I feel these preparations will also make a difficult situation run more smoothly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beth, transitions are difficult, but making the effort to understand the differences is important and demonstrates to those families that you care.

Katherine Hoffman said...

Beth-
I had some of the same ideas for helping to ensure a smooth transition for the child and family. I appreciate that you included an information sheet that allows the family to share about their own ideas and expectations. We don't always consider what they might be thinking in terms of what to expect from an early childhood environment.
Thank you for sharing!
Katherine

Anonymous said...

Beth, these are some great steps to take in getting to know more about your family, and helping to create an environment in which they can thrive. Building a relationship, and having a translator available will also empower the family to communicate their needs, interests, and challenges to you, which will be beneficial to both you and them. Thanks for sharing.