Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Professional Hopes and Goals


One hope that I have when I think about working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds is that each child and family is provided with the services they need in order for their children to be successful in school and within the community.  I also hope that each child will receive a fair and equal education regardless of their social identities.

One goal I would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity, and social justice is that all children are provided the opportunity to attend a free Prekindergarten program that is facilitated by a highly qualified teacher.  I know that the school district I teach in the only way  a child can attend the Prekindergarten program that is offered through the public schools is if they have an IEP, low-income, or considered language deficient (ELL).  In my opinion all children should have the opportunity to attend these types of programs so they can be prepared for Kindergarten.

To all of my colleagues I want to thank you for sharing personal experiences that impacted you either personally and or professionally.  I know for myself sometimes I felt myself struggling with “putting myself out there”.  I think that it is difficult to share experiences that are either hurtful or that we are ashamed of.  I think this class has made everyone take a good look at who they really are as a person and how their words and actions can have such substantial impact on others.  With everything that we have learned throughout this course I think we are well on our way to working towards making a social change within the early childhood field.  Good luck to everyone!

4 comments:

Katherine Hoffman said...

Beth-

I agree with you that we should consider mandating states to provide free and quality pre-kindergarten education for all children. I think there are many logistics to figure out, like inclusion, but it only makes sense to prepare all of our children for the futures they will be sharing with one another.
Good luck to you in your studies and happy holiday season to you and yours!
Thank you!
Katherine

Joyful said...

Beth - yes to free preschool!!! Indiana is one of the few states which does not support preK. But our governor is proud that we are one of the few states in the black financially. I pray we get preK within the next two years. They are talking about it in the communit now. I'm glad you were able to open up and also learn from this course. This course was more emotionally challenging than I thought it would be. Take care, Beth!

Anonymous said...

Beth, I know that there recently a grant from the government called race to the top PA unforunately did not receive it, but anyway things are slowly changing for early education and making prek at least affordable for all children. Thank you for all of your posts.

Tamakio Sharell Scott said...

Beth,

I like your statement regarding providing services to children to help them be successful in school and within the community. I enjoyed reading your blog. Good Luck with your future endeavors.